Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, October 22, 2012

Veggie Style Mexican Chili

Isn’t it funny how the smell and taste of food can bring about vivid memories?   For me, the smell of celery and onion reminds me of my Mom and Grandma preparing Thanksgiving dinner and Mexican food reminds me of college taco nights with friends.  In college my roommates and cross country teammates and I had taco night at least twice a month.  It always involved a ton of tacos, tortilla chips, salsa, and guacamole.  And although the tacos we ate then are vastly different than any I would make now, cooking Mexican food still makes me want to invite friends over for dinner!  Since then my idea of Mexican has broaden and I’ve learned it can also be healthy (not like the greasy tacos of my college days!)  This delicious and healthy Mexican Chili is my take on taco soup.  Let’s start with the yummy ingredients. 

 
Onion, jalapenos, peppers, corn, and beans in a spicy tomato broth make a hearty Mexican chili.  Toppings like olives, green onions, lime, and avocados cool down the spice and make it extra delicious.  This spicy, hearty, healthy chili is the perfect meal to invite friends over for dinner on a cold evening. 
 Mexican Chili
Gluten free, Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion diced
1 large green pepper diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
2 cups cooked kidney beans – equals one 15.5 ounce can
2 cups cooked black beans –equals one 15.5 ounce can
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 14.5 ounce can tomato puree
4 cups veggie broth
Spices:
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp oregano
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ tsp cayenne
 
Toppings:
green onions
olives
avocado
fresh lime juice
you could also use:
shredded cheese (vegetarian) or vegan cheese
cilantro
diced tomatoes

 
Directions:
1.)    Sautee onion in the olive oil over medium heat until golden.
2.)     Add garlic and sauté for about a minute more.
3.)    Add green and jalapeno peppers and sauté for about 3-5 minutes.
4.)    Add veggie broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, and spices.
5.)    Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender. 
6.)    Serve in individual bowls with toppings and a side of tortilla chips and salsa. 
 
 
Do you get all nostalgic over Mexican food like I do, if not, what foods bring up good memories for you?  And what is your favorite, healthy Mexican food?
 

8 comments:

  1. Oh i want to make this so bad!! Looks AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to make it next time you guys come to visit!

      Delete
  2. We love Mexican dishes at our house. Thanks for a new one to add into the mix! Glad you shared at Snacktime Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that looks a filling, cozy, and delicious meal. Thank you so much for sharing this on Meatless Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like it! Love sharing on Meatless Monday!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I can almost smell this simmering on the stove! I am imaging how yummy this is!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party last week! have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I hope that you'll join us this week! Domata will be sponsoring our party! They will be giving away a box of each of their gluten free products: Recipe Ready Flour, Seasoned Flour, and Pizza Crust Mix. Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    The party will start at 7 pm tonight (eastern)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy, I'm so glad you like it. I have linked up!

      Delete