Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Rosemary Roasted Squash Seeds

 
 “Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or Do without”   
I love this old wartime saying and find myself thinking it a lot when I’m cooking.  I hate waste, especially food waste.  Did you know American households throw out an average of 470 pounds of food a year! Yikes!!! That is way too much food going in the trash.  When I look at a food item I try and think of how I can use up every bit. Whatever I can’t use goes into the compost and then onto the garden to grow more food!  
This brings us to winter squash seeds, don’t throw them out.  Besides creating food waste your tastes buds will majorly miss out if you throw these little gems away. 
 You can use any winter squash seeds, not just pumpkin, and any spices you like.   I loooove roasted rosemary, it smells and tastes amazing. 
Rosemary Roasted Squash Seeds
Squash Seeds
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Rosemary
Pinch of cayenne (more if you like the heat)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1.)    Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
2.)    Scoop all the seeds out of the squash. TIP: Use a grapefruit spoon. 
3.)    Pick all the seeds out of the stringy goo that is attached to them, lightly rinse with water, pat dry, and place in a small bowl.
4.)    Cover seeds lightly with extra virgin olive oil.
5.)    Sprinkle rosemary, cayenne, salt, and pepper onto seeds and stir to coat.
6.)    Spread out on a cookie sheet and bake at 300 F for 10 minutes or until seeds are lightly browned.
I cooked up a Rice & Mushroom Stuffed Acorn Squash earlier this week check that recipe out here. The seeds are delicious for roasting.  
What is your favorite way to top roasted squash seeds?  Do you favor one roasted squash seed over another? (I’m pretty smitten with roasted butternut squash seeds.)
Photobucket
 
Linking up with

1 comment:

  1. How cool, I never thought of doing this with squash seeds! Thanks for sharing this on 'Or so she says...' at last week's link party! I would love to have you add the party to your list and stop back to share more of your great ideas. There's actually a party going on right now (it's every Saturday through Tuesday.) Thanks a bunch! ~ Mariel www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete